While most people know the importance of regular physical exercise to their health and weight, the stretching is not granted to many the same consideration.
This is probably because stretching doesn’t have the same immediate effect as weight lifting, cardio workouts and a healthy diet on your appearance. I strongly suggest you to visit Get A Physical Therapist And Optimize The Body Functioning to learn more about this.
For a number of reasons, stretching is however necessary and you should make it a regular part of your routine.
Why do stretching matter so much?
- To boost circulation to the muscles, stretching must be performed on a regular basis. It helps the muscle function optimally and thus reduces the tension that is imposed on the joints when you are physically active during exercise, lifting, or doing housework.
- Stretching will help to reduce the risk of injury when done properly at the start and finish of any workout. Cardio exercises and team sports are especially dangerous so you should stretch out to protect yourself before you take part in them.
- There is no question that we are living in a dysfunctional world, with long hours of work and little sleep. This has a negative effect on our body and stretching will help to relieve it. One way of alleviating tension is to indulge in full body stretching exercises every day for a few minutes.
- On a physiological level stretching has a calming effect on the body. It helps preserve the muscles, joints, nerves, ligaments and so on. After a power workout it also helps to relieve the sore muscles.
- Prevents muscle cramps and joint pain-If you’ve ever woken up with a calf cramp in the middle of the night or feel sore in the morning, then you probably don’t do enough of the right stretches.
- Improves movement ability-Whether you want to lift weights, need to be able to paint the top corner in your living room, or want to do well in sports, a good range of movement is important.
Stretching in Conclusion needs to be a part of your life. I suggest that you dedicate a few minutes before breakfast and a few minutes at night to stretching your body from head to toe. I know this may sound a bit boring right now but stretching is one of the things that grows on you.
Stretching is vital to your health and your quality of life can be improved. As a physical therapist, I can’t advise enough.